Courtney Waldon spent 51 days in the Intensive Care Burn Unit and underwent multiple skin graft surgeries during her time, and doctors predict that she will need at least a dozen more in the next two years.
It all started while she, her husband, and their 4-year-old daughter were camping. Their campfire had gone out and in an attempt to relight it, he poured gasoline on the smoldering embers. It engulfed Courtney causing severe burns to her body. Two weeks after being released from the hospital, her husband announced that he “just couldn’t handle it” and abandoned them both. Courtney couldn’t work. With no income, alone with a young daughter to raise, she had no idea how to move forward. She had millions in medical bills and was forced to give up her home.
As news of her story spread, her community came together and began not only to raise money but to begin construction on a modest house that would be built on her family’s land!
As a part of her desire to live, she now has a tattoo on her arm that memorializes her fighting spirit:
I survived because the fire inside of me burned brighter than the fire around me.”
The materials and funds are being donated by community members and strangers alike as this young mother struggles to pick up the pieces of her life. She isn’t giving up, and hopefully her story inspires others in their own lives as well.
To see more inspiring articles and uplifting content, check out Happy Tango every day! If you loved what you saw here then like and share this with the links below!