You’d think that after the Boaty McBoatface disaster, organizations would stop letting the public make really important decisions. We obviously can’t handle that much pressure without turning it into a joke.
Robert E. Lee elementary in Austin, Texas wanted to re-name their school to take a step away from names and places associated with Confederate leaders. It started out innocently enough, but then someone had the “great” idea to let the community vote on what the new name should be…well, you can imagine what happened.
Chaos ensued, and the public responded with some unique…and some outrageous suggestions. For a city with the word “weird” right in its motto (“Keep Austin Weird”), it’s no surprise that these are the names they put forward for consideration.
- Donald J. Trump Elementary: 45 nominations
- Robert E. Lee Elementary: 34 nominations
- Russell Lee Elementary: 32 nominations
- Harper Lee Elementary: 30 nominations
- Elisabet Ney Elementary: 15 nominations
- Lee Elementary: 13 nominations
- Adolf Hitler School for Friendship and Tolerance: 8 nominations
- Waller Creek Elementary: 8 nominations
- Dr. Frances J. Nesmith Elementary School: 7 nominations
- Guy Bizzell Elementary: 6 nominations
But wait, they get even weirder…
Some of the more quirky names are at the bottom of the list with only a few nominations. While the board still has the final say in the school’s official name, having the general opinion of the public will help them to choose a name that reflects the community around it!
Honorable (and hilarious) mentions:
- Schooly McSchoolerson
- The Rubber Duckies
- Politically Correct Elementary School #1
- Nick Stoutzenberger School for Young Gifted Youngsters
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Major Minds Elementary School
- Lil Jon Elementary
- Kim Il-Sung High School
- Kanye West Elementary
- Idiocaracy Elementary
- IGNORANCE IS BLISS ELEMENTARY
- Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary School
- Galaxy Elementary
- Flava-Flave Elementary
- Forgetting Your Past, Dooms You To Repeat It Elementary
I have to give it up to whomever received the suggestions and compiled this list! Keeping the spelling errors and mistakes in the suggestions just adds even more humor to the list. It truly was created by the public. Too funny!