Staying on top of the bills can be a challenge sometimes. If you are living paycheck-to-paycheck, one unexpected expense can mean a bill or two getting paid late. When this happens more than one month in a row, bills can get tossed aside, growing larger and larger and can quickly drown a family in debt…or worse, utilities begin to get shut down.
This happened to one mom when the power suddenly went out in her home. Due to a buildup of medical expenses, their electricity bill had been neglected, and the charges had piled too high. If this had happened to anyone else, they may have just started to light candles and save up to pay the bill as soon as possible. But for Christy Stone, losing the power in her home meant that her son might die.
Troy, her 18-year-old son, relies on a ventilator to “breathe and stay alive.” He has Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Troy needs electricity to continue living.
While there are laws put in place to protect families from situations like this, it is unclear as to why the electricity was allowed to be shut off. Despite the fact that it shouldn’t have gone off, it did, and that meant that this mom needed to think fast.
She called 911. Her son couldn’t breathe without assistance, and when help arrived, something incredible happened.
Firefighter Ryan McCuen discovered the dire situation of this struggling family. This distraught mother explained her situation to the man, and to her surprise…he got on the phone.
He paid the entirety of the $1,023 bill, and within 20 minutes, that electricity was turned back on.
“It was a no-brainer for me.” The firefighter said when asked about why he did it.
The story went VIRAL on the local news, and many people have donated to the family’s cause. They will not be going without electricty any time soon! Especially since someone generously donated a generator!
To see more inspiring articles and uplifting content, check out Happy Tango every day! If you loved what you saw here then like and share this with the links below!