If you have had the privilege of going on a road trip before, one of the best parts is just being on the road with good friends or family. But when the scenery becomes repetitive and the drive drags on for hours and hours, it can really test your patience. So someone decided to find out if they could plan the absolute, most perfect road trip there is. And its beautiful.
These were the requirements:
- The trip must make at least one stop in all 48 states in the contiguous U.S.
- The trip would only make stops at National Natural Landmarks, National Historic Sites, National Parks, or National Monuments.
- The trip must be taken by car and never leave the U.S.
Keeping strictly to the objectives, Tracy compiled a list of 50 U.S. landmarks. (Not including Alaska or Hawaii!) The point was to spend as little time driving as possible – the point was to visit the landmarks, after all!
The trip is 13,699 miles long, which is estimated to take about 224 hours to complete. If you have a long summer vacation, you could do this entire trip in 2 to 3 months! Probably. It depends on how dedicated you would be to hitting 2 or 3 landmarks each day!
The beauty of this trip is that you can start from anywhere. It is a loop, so it doesn’t matter which state you live in! You can plan to drive to one of these points and just go, seeing incredible landmarks along the way.
- Grand Canyon, AZ
- Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
- Craters of the Moon National Monument, ID
- Yellowstone National Park, WY
- Pikes Peak, CO
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM
- The Alamo, TX
- The Platt Historic District, OK
- Toltec Mounds, AR
- Elvis Presley’s Graceland, TN
- Vicksburg National Military Park, MS
- French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
- USS Alabama, AL
- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, FL
- Okefenokee Swamp Park, GA
- Fort Sumter National Monument, SC
- Lost World Caverns, WV
- Wright Brothers National Memorial Visitor Center, NC
- Mount Vernon, VA
- White House, Washington, DC
- Colonial Annapolis Historic District, MD
- New Castle Historic District, Delaware
- Cape May Historic District, NJ
- Liberty Bell, PA
- Statue of Liberty, NY
- The Mark Twain House & Museum, CT
- The Breakers, RI
- USS Constitution, MA
- Acadia National Park, ME
- Mount Washington Hotel, NH
- Shelburne Farms, VT
- Fox Theater, Detroit, MI
- Spring Grove Cemetery, OH
- Mammoth Cave National Park, KY
- West Baden Springs Hotel, IN
- Abraham Lincoln’s Home, IL
- Gateway Arch, MO
- C. W. Parker Carousel Museum, KS
- Terrace Hill Governor’s Mansion, IA
- Taliesin, WI
- Fort Snelling, MN
- Ashfall Fossil Bed, NE
- Mount Rushmore, SD
- Fort Union Trading Post, ND
- Glacier National Park, MT
- Hanford Site, WA
- Columbia River Highway, OR
- San Francisco Cable Cars, CA
- San Andreas Fault, CA
- Hoover Dam, NV
You know what? My bucket list just grew by 50 items! How many of these landmarks have you been able to see? This is great!
To see more inspiring articles and uplifting content, check out Happy Tango every day! If you loved what you saw here then like and share this with the links below!