Sometimes we are strapped for cash, and sometimes we’re short on time, but that doesn’t mean you have to let your wardrobe suffer! Here are some quick hacks to customize your clothing and get more wear out of the items that you love! Try to remember them when you get stuck in a bind! They’re easy and quick (most of them) and can really save your budget.
1. Use a hot glue gun to create quick seams without an iron or a sewing machine! A hot glue gun will be faster to use than an iron, but not as permanent as a sewing machine. The point? It will get you through that last-minute interview and save you time if you’re already late!
2. Use a paperclip to keep your bra straps invisible under razor back tank tops or a blouse for work! Be sure to flip the paper clip so that the inner curl won’t sit against your back – it can start to itch after a while, but it will work in a pinch!
3. Reduce odor in your unwashed jeans by putting them in the freezer for a while! If you don’t have the time to wash and dry your jeans, this is a quick way to get rid of some of the smell and get them to last a day longer! It isn’t as good as washing them, but it comes close!
4. Did the string of your hoodie fall out? Thread it back through with a straw! It’s easier than a safety pin and takes much less time. Be sure to tie the ends of the strings in a knot this time! You don’t want this to happen again.
5. Did you spill wine on a light surface? This trick works with most fabrics. Sop up as much of the wine as you can with a paper towel and pour a healthy amount of salt to absorb the pigments and hopefully make the stain lift easier!
6. Are your heels too tight, but you don’t have the time to break them in? Put a plastic bag full of water into the toes and leave them in the freezer overnight. As the water freezes, it will expand and stretch the shoes for a much more bearable fit! This works well on leather.
7. If you spill any sort of oil on your shirt or fabric, pouring baby powder on the stain will help the oil lift much easier. Once it is absorbed, shake the powder off and try again until the oil is gone. (Hint: this also works on car seats and sofas.)
8. Do you need to get wrinkles out of some clothes but only have about 15 minutes before you have to leave? Put an ice cube or a moist hand towel into the dryer along with the clothes that you need ironed out and set the timer on your dryer. The wrinkles will disappear quickly so you can do what you need to do before leaving the house!
9. This is an excellent tip when you want to wear your boots but don’t have any clean skinny jeans! (Or don’t own skinny jeans, like some of us…) This is much easier than trying to stuff the fabric into the jeans, and the folds keep everything in place by being nice and tight. No need for boot socks with this method!
10. Not sure which necklace to wear for that meeting? This simple guide is perfect for accessorizing! This guide is easy to follow and I really like the way that these necklines work with all of my jewelry! Picking what to wear has never been easier.
11. Need to patch a run in your stockings? Clean nail polish with stop the ripping, seal the holes (if they are small enough) and let your hose last longer if you don’t have time to run to the store for a new pair! Who misses the days when hose would last for months? I sure do.
12. Did you favorite sweats SHRINK in the dryer? The fibers need to be relaxed, and hand washing your sweats with baby shampoo in warm water will make them good as new! Check out the tutorial here.
13. Get rid of pills on cotton fabric by shaving them away with a razor! Bring your clothing back to life with this easy trick! (Warning: you might accidentally put a hole in your clothing if you are not careful!)
To see more inspiring videos, articles, and uplifting content, check out Happy Tango every day! If you loved what you saw here then like and share this with the links below!