At a quick glance, these two bags are suspiciously similar. The same shade of blue, the same shape, and even the same position of the handles – someone is a copy cat! But while one bag is iconic as that plastic bag from IKEA that you can buy for 99 cents, the other is a designer bag from Balenciaga priced at $2,610.
People spotted the similarities fairly quickly, and the furniture giant took advantage of the publicity to release an easy guide to “identifying the real product vs. the ‘knock-off’ ” and people ate it up!“The Original”
How to identify an original IKEA Frakta bag
1) Shake it. If it rustles, it’s the real deal.
2) Multifunctional. It can carry hockey gear, bricks, and even water.
3) Throw it in the dirt. A true Frakta is simply rinsed off with a garden hose when dirty.
4) Fold it. Are you able to fold it to the size of a small purse? If the answer is yes, congratulations.
5) Look inside. The original has an authentic IKEA tag.
6) Price tag. Only $0.99.
We are deeply flattered that the Balenciaga tote bag resembles the IKEA iconic sustainable blue bag for 99 cents. Nothing beats the versatility of a great big blue bag!” a spokesperson for IKEA told Today!
Now THAT is some pretty great marketing!